Saturday 21 March 2009

Soap Posts: JUST TELL HER!

WARNING: MAY INCLUDE HINTS/SPOILERS OF FUTURE STORYLINES!

I thought it was only right that my first post was on my favourite current storyline, the Ronnie and Danielle reveal. Since this storyline was first mentioned back in the summer last year I have been interested in the characters and storyline direction that EastEnders would take.

The character of Ronnie, played by Samantha Janus, had always been cold, a character that I found hard to like. But since it was revealed to the audience that she had a daughter when she was 14 that she gave up for adoption it had opened up new avenues for this character and her relationship with others, mainly her father Archie (played by Larry Lamb).

Despite the claim by Archie that her daughter had died, the possibility of introducing the character of Ronnie's long lost daughter would be too good of a opportunity to miss. Thats why I was not surprised when a young mysterious blonde called Danielle (played by Lauren Crace)turned up in the July last year.

Though the fact she was Ronnie's daughter was kept a secret the first rumours were circulating about her identity. I found myself trying to drop hints for my family, suggeting that a certain new mysterious character who looks like another character and is about the same age as that women's supposedly dead daughter..... (you can see how confusing this storyline got!)

I was convinced that it was the type of secret that would explode over the turkey and crackers but to my disappointment the secret continued into the new year. I appreciate that it was planned to be a slow burner, so we could see Danielle's character develop and try and build a relationship with Ronnie.


By the time we reached February two dates stood out for the possible reveal; mothers day and Archie and Peggy's wedding (it wouldnt be a good EastEnders reveal if it didnt come out on a significant day or event!)

This may be a good point to admit I don't just watch soaps; I read the magazines, read the spoilers and comment on the fan forums. So I had been aware of the facebook rumours of Danielle's character leaving or being killed off.


Over recent weeks rumours and theories have been constantly circling on the forums, from the plausable to the slightly crazy. But from a mixture of spoilers and rumours it seems that the theory of the reveal happening on the day of the Mitchell nuptials, followed by Danielle's sudden demise are true.


I, as a fan of the show, am very disappointed if this is how the storyline ends. I understand that as a viewer I have no control over the storyline but fans have waited patiently for months as the script twists and turns, dipping in and out of the Ronnie and Danielle storyline. I have continued to watch even when both characters disappear off screen for a number of weeks and we watch unentertaining filler storylines (one example being the double act of Heather and Shirley search for George Michael!)

I have watched the storyline and characters develop, waiting patiently as I scream at the television "JUST TELL HER!" To kill of the character of Danielle, maybe even before Ronnie finds out the truth, is a waste of the storyline.

The possible avenues that this storyline and the characters could have gone seem to have been discounted in favour of a ratings high for one or two episodes. I understand that the drama and emotion will be sensational but as a fan and viewer I wanted to see a reunion between mother and daughter.



One thing that appeals to me about soaps are relationship between characters; whether that be mother and daughter, husband and wife etc... The relationship between Danielle and Ronnie has taken so many twists and turns but I was always hoping that in the end it would turn out to be a good one.

Whatever direction the storyline takes over the next few weeks in the build up to Archie and Peggy's wedding and the reveal I must praise EastEnders for the storyline and complement the terrific acting from all involved. I for one will be watching intently and even though it seems unlikely I am still hoping for a happy ending!

Ronnie Mitchell picture from Whats on TV

Danielle Jones picture from BBC

Danielle and Ronnie picture from The Mirror

No comments: