Friday 15 May 2009

British Soap Awards 2009


The British Soap Awards (or the BSAs) are the soap genre's Oscars; an evening dedicated to rewarding those who work within soap and as I soap fan, it is a enjoyable evening where we get to see the stars of the small screen come together and celebrate soaps.

Even though I enjoy watching and remembering the highlights of the past year the BSAs lack the suspense of The Oscars or Golden Globes because with the ceremony recorded the Saturday before, I end up knowing exactly who is going to win what before it is broadcasted on the following Wednesday. This is obviously my choice to see who wins beforehand but I must admit it does slightly spoil the surprise.

Presented by Phillip Schofield (a perfectly enjoyable host minus the flat jokes), this year's ceremony started off with the novelty awards for sexiest male and female, ones which each year seem to be presented to actors and actresses or clearly seem very annoyed and slightly embarrassed to be rewarded for their looks rather than acting ability. The winners this year were Scott Maslen (Jack Branning in EastEnders) and Michelle Keegan (Tina McIntyre in Coronation Street).

We then moved onto the serious awards (well serious for the soap awards anyway). Some of the more notable awards on the night were Babara Windsor's acceptance of the Lifetime Achievement award. A worthy winner after providing years of drama, laughter and ties as the head of the Mitchell family. I was also pleased to see the Masoods being celebrated with Nina Wadia (Zainab Masood in EastEnders) collecting Best comedy performance and Best on-screen partnership with Nitin Ganatra (Masood Ahmed in EastEnders).

As a fan of EastEnders I was happy to see the London based soap collecting seven awards on the night, including the highly coverted Best soap. As an avid viewer of soaps, EastEnders is the only one that has managed to keep me hooked throughout the year.

Although some of the awards were rightly received in my opinion I still have to disagree with some of the decisions. Katherine Kelly (Becky Grainger in Coronation Street) was a unexpected victor in the Best Actress category. Although I am always entertained by Becky when I watch Coronation Street her performance seemed more at home in the Best comedy performance category. I would have preferred the Best actress award to go to Jo Joyner (Tanya Branning in EastEnders), Samantha Janus (Ronnie Mitchell in EastEnders) or Carly Stenson (Steph Cunningham in Hollyoaks).

I don't want to seem completely biased towards EastEnders so I will add that I feel Hollyoaks deserved some recognition for a good year up until Christmas. Although the soap has dropped dramatically since then, storylines like Max's death and Niall's revenge were extremely enjoyable and deserved award success.

The BSAs may not have the glamour, glitz or talent of The Oscars, Golden Globes or BAFTAs but it is an entertaining night's viewing, where the public and a panel of judges can recognise and reward those in the world of soap.

For a full list of winners
Picture from gm.tv

No comments: